Crotons That Thrive in the Shade

Jeff Searle

26/08/08
Over the years, crotons that when first planted in that perfect spot in the yard, just the right amount of shade and just the right amount of sun, are now in deep shade, thanks to surrounding plants that have grown up very large. And maybe these crotons because of the lack of bright light are now loosing much of their colors and getting leggy. I have found a few varieties that actually thrive in alot of shade and do very well, so I would like to pass this info. on. And if you have some varieties that do well, please add them to the list.

I found these perform extreamly well in shade mostly or all day,

Polychrome

Raphael

Claude Lorraine

King of Siam

Kentucky

General MacArthur

Giesha Girl

General Lawrence

Red Quill

John Bender

Jeff

So,

As a newbie, let me ask a newbie question. If you have a choice for most crotons, is 100% full sun the preferred exposure for most. Or is optimum something like 3/4 day full sun, and bright shade the rest.

I ask because with my ti plants, although they look great in full all day sun, most varieties look a little better if "cranked" back a touch to maybe 80% - just a break from all sun, all day.

Dean,
I would suggest morning full sun, but afternoon bright shade if possible.
The brighter the colors, the more they will burn in the full scorching sun, as I have found.
Many crotons, as Jeff stated, do better in partial to full shade.

I can add that my "Gold dust" does great in deep, deep shade.

I've found that the yellow Crotons do better in the sun and the red/pink/orange ones are happier in the shade. In terms of overall growing conditions, the term "shade at noon" seems to be the most appropriate for Crotons.

Jeff - for your list: Pinocchio, Big Red, Red King, Edison, Cardinal.

Gonzalez, Nellie Halgrim and Duncan Macaw also don't mind lower light conditions. Nellie Halgrim is one fo the few yellow and green varieties that don't need fulll, blazing sun to maintain color.

Nellie Halgrim.jpg
Whoa Nellie! Robert Halgrim named this cultivar for his mother, Nellie Halgrim

Last edited: