Crotons in New Guinea

Phil Stager

Esteemed Member
04/07/09
Not the sharpest pic but anyone care to ID the crotons the lady on the cover is wearing on her arms ?
(This is a philatelic journal I get, but crotons on stamps are about as rare as the mystery Krukonis croton)
H
CROTON001.jpg
appy New Year to all,

Cover Girl?

We have pictures of Polynesians wearing the same arm bands of croton leaves from the Bishop Museum in Hawaii.

Happy 2017!

Mortii is a world wide example. Good call Tim. The T V show Indian Summers on PBS we saw several Croton's Mortii was one of the most often shown. General Padgett,Readii and some others.

All these views and no one groaned at my attempted pun. Cover Girl, get it? Or did you just think I had lost it?
I even read your comment and think I either missed the Cover Girl part or it did not register. I get it now. Took a little help. o_O

Like Lamar, I looked at the picture and thought it was a man. Looked like he was dressed up to go into battle (while in reality she could be getting ready to be married). I did not even know that you call a stamp collector a philatelist until Phil mentioned the stamp part. The pictures of Mortii do look like it. I would assume whatever they are growing in Papua New Guinea would be growing there in the wild not introduced, but don't know the history of Mortii.

We attended a lecture Monday evening given by Dr. Chad Husby of FTBG. Last Nov. he was with a group that retraced part of an exploration by Dr. David Fairchild in the early 1940s through Indonesia. At one tiny village on a remote island in the Spice Islands, Chad showed photos of many crotons planted in the villagers' gardens. He shared the custom of villagers going to others' homes to invite them to a party. If the individuals are not home, a croton leaf is left to let them know they are invited.

We attended a lecture Monday evening given by Dr. Chad Husby of FTBG. Last Nov. he was with a group that retraced part of an exploration by Dr. David Fairchild in the early 1940s through Indonesia. At one tiny village on a remote island in the Spice Islands, Chad showed photos of many crotons planted in the villagers' gardens. He shared the custom of villagers going to others' homes to invite them to a party. If the individuals are not home, a croton leaf is left to let them know they are invited.
Marie -
Any chance you can get Dr. Husby to post some of those pics?