Croton Society Meeting and Barbecue - October 17th

fawnridge

04/07/09
That's right Croton fans, the garden's open - Saturday, October 17th from 10am until we run out of whiskey. There will be an ongoing tour of the garden, where we can come up with accurate names for the roughly 200 Crotons in the ground, and an auction of mainly Crotons, led hopefully by that esteemed auctioneer - Jeff Searles. I have a several trees for the auction and one huge Croton, that I'm almost positive is a Krukonis, in a 7-gallon can that's looking for a new home.

I will be cooking traditional low and slow pulled pork, famous Boca Boys Baked Beans, and homemade cole slaw. If you don't come here hungry, you'll regret it. Feel free to bring your favorite beer; we'll have cold water and soda pop.

Where are we? Right Here.

We're in a gated community with a guardhouse, so you'll need to let me know you're coming beforehand. The guard will have a list of names and will let you in if you're one of them. Best bet is to send me a message from the message gizmo on this website or an email if you know one of my many addresses.

I hope to see you all here, put some faces to the handles, and feed you until you groan.

Andrea and I plan on coming. There could be more that ride up with us. I'll let you know. But for now, put us down for two. I definitely look forward to seeing your garden, Ricky.

Jeff

Jeff,

I think you should get Ricky to do his BarBQue at your next sale. I will need a wheelbarrel to haul my stomach out of his Auction BarBQue.

Jerry - That would defeat Jeff's goal of making money! Real barbecue is reserved for small gatherings; like a bunch of Croton collectors and several bottles of single malt Scotch whisky. A pulled pork sammich is four times the cost of a hamburger, maybe as much as five if you buy them in mass quantity.

Jeff - You should post the dates here, as not everyone knows about your sale.

Dean - buy airplane tickets.

And don't forget, we serve the famous Boca Boys Baked Beans.

beans.jpg

Ricky,

You had to post that picture of beans? That wasn't right! It's only 9:30 in the morning and you got me hungry already.

We don't want to feed them too much, or too gooooood! Then they won't want to walk around and buy my plants!

I will be taking some pictures in the next day or so and show some good samples of what I propagated earlier this summer. We will be offering close to 150 varieties at our sale. A few good, hard to find jewels.......

Jeff

Please add me on the confirmed list. :D Recently I planted 20 varieties in my garden and I am hooked. After seeing Rick's garden :cool:and how the proper placing of crotons can really accentuate it, I am hooked.

For those who will be donating plants: :eek:I am shamefully requesting that you post a list of the varieties you plan on bringing. My wish list is compiled and I need to get a handle on how much cash I need to pull from the bank! :eek:

Here's how to get to us.

Great to hear that the crowd is building! We've already hosted plant swaps of 50 people, so there's plenty of room and food for everyone!

Here's my contribution to the auction. It's a (fill in the blank someone) in a 7-gallon can that grew in a terra cotta pot on our patio for three years. It outgrew the pot and I moved it into the 7-gallon last winter.

auction.gif

Hi, I'm newer to crotons (I'm a Palmhead) & would love to see your place , especially since your less than a mile from me! Unfortunatly for some fish, I'm scheduled to go fishing in the Keys that weekend. I've been to a couple of the croton meetings & I'm getting hooked (stupid fishing pun)! I'd still like to see your collection & your welcome to see mine any time! Randy

Hey Randy - I got your email but have been swamped with a million other things going on, including hanging out here. Lets do some garden touring this weekend. I'll call you later this afternoon when the dust settles.

Here's how to get to us.

Great to hear that the crowd is building! We've already hosted plant swaps of 50 people, so there's plenty of room and food for everyone!

Here's my contribution to the auction. It's a (fill in the blank someone) in a 7-gallon can that grew in a terra cotta pot on our patio for three years. It outgrew the pot and I moved it into the 7-gallon last winter.

auction.gif

Is anyone going to attempt an I.D. on this one? Nice shaped leaves and interesting colors.
:rolleyes:

I've been calling it Richard Krukonis. Remember, it was in a clay pot, so the leaves didn't get as big as they normally would. But the plant it came from was, more than likely, an RK.

Mongo better hit the ATM before he gets here. With Jeff as the auctioneer, I wouldn't be surprised to see this one go for at least a mortgage payment!

Ricky - is that a Boca Raton Mortgage payment or a Coral Gables Mortgage payment? :p Thank God I purchased 15 years ago and it is just a 2-1 shack. Being on a double lot is my retirement though! :rolleyes:

Ron. :)

Just something to remember, the Richard Krukonis croton is extreamly hard to come by. So, we'll have to wait and see when everyone shows up and takes a look at it. Then, and only then when the bidding starts, will determine on just how high the $$$$$$$ will go.:) Should be interesting......

Jeff

Haha, thats funny Ron.

For me, a croton just has to catch my eye, I don't care if its rare or common. I know some may be shocked to hear this, but for me, a Polychrome does absolutely nothing, its a nice croton at all, but I wouldnt pay maybe over 30$ for a nice size plant.
Now something like a C. Gilbert Cutler, I'd pay big $ for even an average size plant!

Some plants are not that attractive but are old Florida varieties nonetheless. From a historical perspective, they do have some personal value. It amazes me that every Polychrome out there for example, originated from one single plant dating back many years. So each of us has a piece of that original plant. With their individuality, crotons really do resemble people more than most plants.

True collectors have only one goal in mind - get them all. I'm not a true collector, but I'd love to have a Polychrome, only because it's one of the old world Crotons.

And I'm real big on Polychrome because I love the pastel colors, and that it's one a few that work so well in even deep shade. I really can't think of another plant( other than crotons) that can give you that much color in deep shade.

Haha, thats funny Ron.

For me, a croton just has to catch my eye, I don't care if its rare or common. I know some may be shocked to hear this, but for me, a Polychrome does absolutely nothing, its a nice croton at all, but I wouldnt pay maybe over 30$ for a nice size plant.
Now something like a C. Gilbert Cutler, I'd pay big $ for even an average size plant!

Something in my gut tells me that this meeting is going to have a big turnout :eek:

I'm really enjoying reading everyone's comments here. Ricky, it looks like I'll be there. I'm really looking forward to seeing your garden. And, with Jeff doing the auction and your great cooking this should be a hugh success. It's always great to meet new folks, put the faces with the names and just enjoy everyone's love of plants. I'll be putting out a reminder email in the next day or so to the membership. Thanks again for hosting this event!
Connie

I plan to attend and possibly bring one or two more with me.
I will be bringing some croton hybrids that I have dug up beneath my collection beds...almost certainly a cross between two varieties.

You know what that means = $$$$!!!!

As a newbie, I do not have much to offer. Recently I took pictures of the cultivar Black Beauty. Ray (crazy about crotons) made the I.D. and added that this cultivar is not often encountered in another thread. Cuttings were obtained.

Process: The cuttings were soaked in water for two days. They were sprinkled with water ofter to keep the humidity level high. (poor man misting) A soil mixture of composted cow manure, peat moss, perlite and fine pine bark chips was prepared. Each stem was cut at a 45 degree angle and notched on each side of the stem about an inch about the cut. The end of the stem was then dipped in root tone. A hole was made in the soil and the stem was inserted. I went with a one gallon container. Each stem seemed unstable so they were staked the prevent movement and the tearing of newly emerging fine roots. The soil was very loose so it was watered to fill voids around the stem. Mulch was then dressed on the top of the soil to aid in keeping the humidity level up. They were placed in heavy shade on top of mulch. My theorey is to keep these moist and humidity high to accelerate the development of the roots and prevent desication of water from the leaves. I have elected to not trim the leaves so they will look presentable for the auction for this meeting.

Question - is there anything I can do besides mentioned above to accelerate the development of roots? I thought of hitting the cuttings with some liquid fertilizer. I do not want to burn any emerging roots so I ask the advice of the croton mavens on this forum. What is your opinion of liquid fertilizer on the cuttings for rooting by Oct. 17?

There will be 5 plants donated for the auction if the dog does not pee on them and/or they melt down. I have yet to have a single leaf voluntarily fall off. The leaves seem ridged to me compared to the other cultivars I am currently growing. I hope the Black Beauties are a cultivar that readily roots. I guess we are going to find out.

Here they are potted up. Not the greatest of images but I do not want to move them for the sake of a picture. Come on my little pretties, root!

Attachments

• Black Beauty.jpg
    Black Beauty.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 190
  • Black Beauty 2.jpg
    Black Beauty 2.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 184
I certainly hope so. Right now, we're at an even dozen. I'm cooking for 40.

Is it too late to RSVP? I just found this forum tonight! I would love to go - and I'll be in the area on the 15th & 16th anyway - I can just add another day to the ole itinerary! :)