Croton Scale

Borgy230

06/07/09
So, what do you find controls the scale the best, any varieties you see it more heavily on than others?

In my yard I use a combination of Bayer's Tree and Shrub, and Organicde (fish oil)
The fish oil kills off the scale immediatly as it suffocates them. Then the Bayers hopefully keeps them away.
I have however found two varieties in my yard that I cant seem to erradicate the scale from, they are Purity and General McArthur. I spray it wil organicde once a week, and they just wont die!

Is it necessary to respray that often? Would higher concentrations last longer? There is a granular form of Bayers, does it work as well?

When my plants, croton or anything else get scale, I use the Thumb and Fore Finger pesticide. Some plants can tolerate some scale, but if it gets out of hand it may be indicative of the plant being stressed and planted poorly or in a bad spot. I'm not familiar with this new scale that are attacking croton, but my experience if the plant gets attacked by scale really bad, then there is another underlying problem. I've never used pesticide in my yard so can't tell you which chemical is best, but I can tell you the mechanical method of removing scale by your fingers is effective. After you squash them they send out a scent that tells other insects to come clean them up.

First Post by me! Croton Rule!

I know you guys are joking around, but seriously, its easier to just rub the scale off then take the time/money/effort to use pesticides. I have easily 150 croton along with hundred of other plants. If I see any bugs, aphids or scale, simply wiping them off does the trick. They sometime's come back, but if you keep doing it, they eventually go away. Maybe the use of pesticide is killing off your beneficial insects as well???

A well maintained plant should be able to defend off insect attacks.

As everyone knows, croton can suffer from spider mites. During the dry season I spray with water the undersides of the leaf. I didn't have any leaf drop this past winter where I went down to 29 degrees.

the ony bug I can't control is the pink scale on hibiscus. For those I just let the plant die off.

Dave,

With the croton scale full blown, it's impossible to just wipe off the scale, especially when some of us collectors might have 200,300,400 or more plants in the yard. The time this would take would be overwhelming. The females are large and are found on the petioles up on the new growth,and do rub off easily, but the males are tiny and are on the undersides of the leaves and this makes it much harder to rub them off. There's just no way in my yard I could even come close to spending that kind of time. I wish it was that easy.

Jeff

Jeff, no doubt nursery owners need to resort to pesticides. Its hard to argue that point.

Thanks for the info on this croton scale. I'm not familiar with it. I haven't seen any scale on my croton. Or, any other plant. I do occasionally get scale on a couple of palms and it has been tough to get rid of them. So, I decided, I'm not. Plants can tolerate some insects sucking on them. Actually it may build up their immune systems. I keep the in check by either rubbing them off or spraying them with a strong stream of water. The ants and scale eventually get it, and figure out that its an inhospitable spot for them to propagate.

Also, I find when I get a build up on scale, if I crush the most I see, that eventually a wasp, or other scale eating insect will come along and finish them up. Also, its well known that ants farm scale. You can also make life hell for the ant and discourage it from farming on your plants.

Another side to look at it is that 'spending that kind of time' theory. How long does it take to drive to the store and pick out the correct pesticide, get it home. Can it up, walk around and spray it, etc etc etc. That is not only spending time, but spending money. By the time it takes to drive to Home Depot and a back (estimate an hour), I could have wiped a few plants with my fingers. Plus, I look for any inspiration to go out in my yard. If I have to go get a cold beer and a five-gallon bucket (to sit on), and get up, close, and personal to my plants, then its a win win for me.

I'll check out that other thread that speaks of this new croton scale attack. I hope that scale stays out of Central Florida!

But, I would like to reiterate, that the 15 years I've lived in my current residence, I have never used pesticide....and I have no problems with bugs!