Croton Party - Saturday, August 25th

fawnridge

04/07/09
Ricky's Garden - Boca Raton

10am - Come on in and bring your plants, your friends, and a side dish, dessert, or beverage. Please let me know what you are bringing in terms of food so we can avoid duplications. I will be cooking pulled pork.
11am (plus or minus) - Air Layer demo and/or hopefully a speaker from Lesco about fertilizer.
Noon - Barbecue lunch on the patio.
1pm - Live Auction

After the auction, there will be a caravan of cars going to visit Randy's garden (less than 3 miles away)

Because this is a gated community, you'll need a pass to get in. You can get a pass by sending me an email - rickyg at fawnridge dot com. That email will also include a map and directions to get here.

Thanks! I am looking forward to another great croton get together. Also, very interested in the air layer demo, as I'm just delving into this myself. Since my plants are pretty new, I don't have too much to work with. Did two experiments and one seems to have done ok, and the other - not so much.

Gotta get the Miami Dade contingent together. Perhaps Kip, Chris and I can share a ride to split gas costs. :) I gotta see Ricky's garden after a mild winter. Things should be cranking. Randy has a very unusual and well grown collection. :cool:

Moose - you're gonna be surprised at how much things have changed and grown. I've cleaned out a lot of underbrush in some areas and made room for a few more Crotons.

What new crotons can we expect to see on this go-around?

There are at least a dozen new ones without names and another dozen or so that do, that have been added over the past year or two. Rembrandt, Reubens, Mosaic, are just a few of the new ones. Still small, but they'll catch up to the old timers.

Relax Ricky. You've been our host so many times that you should know that people wait until the week of. Usually just a couple of days prior. :D

Hey I'm trying to get a Miami-Dade contingent together. You know plant people, its easier to herd cats ... LOL :rolleyes:

You know Bahadawn will show up with her group. She swore off the SUV (not enough room) - only the van goes to croton tours now. ;)

Jeez folks, I know this is two months away, but I've only had one email for directions/gate pass.

Does anyone have the old Croton Society email list? I'd like to do a mailing to those folks who don't participate in this forum, inviting them to join the party.

I have the Nov 11, 2010 newsletter with 49 e-mail addresses attached. I'll get them to you as soon as I can figure out how to transfer them to you. I use a MAC, anyone know how???

I'm already building inventory. There four 3-gallon cans of Alley Cat and one 7-gallon with three plants in it. A huge Rudy Bachmann in a 7-gallon can, also three plants, and a smaller one in a 3-gallon can. A couple of Thea and a few odd pieces that will be ready to go in the ground.

Remember, you need to email me rickyg at fawnridge dot com to get directions and a gate pass!

My list might change but for right now I plan on bringing a Joe Friday,Thai Hybrid,A very nice Unknown,General Marshall,Daybreak and a big,big Inca(not as big as the one that sold at mike's auction but close)

Ricky - you gotta tour coming up. Stop hacking off croton branches and get some real chemicals to treat your scale.

Orgaincide? Hey you can have my 7 year old quart. Used it to treat palm aphids. Aphids laughed at it, oil burn't the crap out of my fronds. If you have to go organic, go buy some lacewing eggs or larvae.

You better have alot of BBQ ready,there will be alot more than 4 people there.A few collectors who are not computer savy have already confirmed to me that they will be coming.They will contact you as we get closer to the date.

Ricky's Garden - Boca Raton

10am - Come on in and bring your plants, your friends, and a side dish, dessert, or beverage. Please let me know what you are bringing in terms of food so we can avoid duplications. I will be cooking pulled pork.
11am (plus or minus) - Air Layer demo and/or hopefully a speaker from Lesco about fertilizer.
Noon - Barbecue lunch on the patio.
1pm - Live Auction

After the auction, there will be a caravan of cars going to visit Randy's garden (less than 3 miles away)

Because this is a gated community, you'll need a pass to get in. You can get a pass by sending me an email - rickyg at fawnridge dot com. That email will also include a map and directions to get here.

Ricky - could we do Randy's garden before the auction? :confused: I have a concern about leaving my new plants in my vehicle in the August afternoon sun. I think most folks are anxious to get their newly acquired crotons home. :p

Any where from 1 to 4 in the Queen Mary. Less people- more crotons; more people - less crotons. i've a got a probable definite, a probable maybe, and another plain old maybe. ...and all weather dependent.

Judy and I will be coming over from the swamp in Fort Myers. I have a yard full of ducks and birds. I sprayed all of Judy's crotons last Saturday only to have it pour tem minutes after I had finished. Not a cloud in the sky when I started. Summertime

Ricky will you e-mail us at jglock1@comcast.net and let us know how to sneak by the guards:)

I am coming hungry. They may have to use a bigger plane to get me to Thailand.