Croton Container Ranch

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
After pulling all the crotons from the warm spot up against the house, they had to be rearranged and returned to the container ares.
tucked 1.JPG
tucked 2.JPG
tucked 3.JPG

Each croton was given individual attention. Some had soil added, some stepped into larger containers, all were fertilized and dated on their tags. The slab they are on was raked, then swept and pressure cleaned. All were placed where their sunlight requirements.

I've tried to get them more spacing then they had. I have this illusion that I will catch up getting all these planted and the container ranch will shrink. Some how new acquisitions seem to keep showing up - I can't help myself.

CCR 10.JPG
CCR 1.JPG
CCR 2.JPG
CCR 3.JPG

Found some dreaded croton scale on a few. With all them crammed together under the covers for a few days, it was assumed that all were contaminated so all got treated.

I really envy you guys that don't have all the limestone rock that Moose Land has. It makes planting a time consuming endeavor. Making smaller and less deep holes would save time but I can't bring myself to lowering the standard that has been established. Older crotons that were planted several years ago that were planted with large holes have greatly outproformed compared to those which were planted in minimal holes.

CCR 4.JPG
CCR 6.JPG
CCR 7.JPG
CCR 8.JPG

fog.jpg

You certainly have some beauties. Once they get in the ground and take off. Wow. I don't know my crotons well enough to be able to know what the cultivars are in your photos, but certainly see some that I am lusting after. Do you stick with just the palms and crotons, or do you have other collections as well (aroids, cordylines, bromeliads, etc.)? I wish I could just be focused on one or two groups, not be addicted to all of the cool tropicals that grow in Florida. Trying to put together my own little botanical garden at this point.

You certainly have some beauties. Once they get in the ground and take off. Wow. I don't know my crotons well enough to be able to know what the cultivars are in your photos, but certainly see some that I am lusting after. Do you stick with just the palms and crotons, or do you have other collections as well (aroids, cordylines, bromeliads, etc.)? I wish I could just be focused on one or two groups, not be addicted to all of the cool tropicals that grow in Florida. Trying to put together my own little botanical garden at this point.

Karl - there are a few fruit trees (Banana, Mangos, Avocados, Jakfruit, Jaboticaba and Key Lime), no cordylines, some bromeliads that are in the trees. Got into crotons since the ground bromeliads were too shaded and lacked color. Only a couple of aroids and ferns.