COSTA RICA CROTON WANDERINGS-THE MANY FACES OF PETRA

donroberth

19/07/09

PETRA-CATEGORY: BROAD LEAF

“One of the most common crotons available. Hybridized by Azienda Gloreal Diem (AFD) Nursery in Italy. Developed from a cross of Fournieri and Norma. Introduced in the US by Kraft Nursery in Boca Raton. Named after AFD nursery manager's daughter.” REF: Brown, B. Frank 1995 Crotons of the World p.111

NOTE: I found very little useful information on internet for this pictorial’s narrative other than just general comments re: care and maintenance applicable to just about any Croton.

By far the best PETRA specific advice available in the care and planting of Petra was found in this discussion Forum. I’ve taken the liberty of quoting a few below…GOOD STUFF!

SCOTT MCINTOSH:“My experience with growing Petra in Shade shows the best leaf color with nice hues of orange and pinks with more pronounced veining of the leaves. Full sun grown Petras show lots of yellow color and have less pronounced veining. Overall Petra performs well in sun to shade conditions” or Scott gets a little poetic in another post: “Petra can be really nice if planted in a location that is barley kissed by sun. I do not like Petra that is planted in sun locations. These are only kissed by the sun as the sun sits in the western sky.”

RAY HERNANDEZ: “It's a crotons nature to keep us guessing. Petra, as common as it is, is a stunning plant in shade. It was originally hybridized for interior low light conditions.”

FAWNRIDGE: “… the more sun you give "Petra" the more yellow you're gonna get. Try one in almost full shade and it will go deep red. There is a pure yellow "Petra" by the way; it'll blanch in the full sun though.”

NOTE: Yellow Petra will be the subject of my next pictorial submission

Five closeups for Anna: :)

Fotos 01 & 02 Closeups
Foto 03 Closeup of foto # 11
Foto 04 Closeup with about 4 more months of full sun exposure as compared to foto no. 08
Foto 05 Closeup of foto # 12

Attachments

• 01 PETRA-CLOSEUP.jpg
    01 PETRA-CLOSEUP.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 02 PETRA-CLOSEUP.jpg
    02 PETRA-CLOSEUP.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 03 PETRA-CLOSEUP OF FOTO NO. 11.jpg
    03 PETRA-CLOSEUP OF FOTO NO. 11.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 04 PETRA-CLOSEUP WITH ABOUT 3 MORE MONTHS OF FULL SUN EXPOSURE AS COMPARED TO FOTO NO. 08.jpg
    04 PETRA-CLOSEUP WITH ABOUT 3 MORE MONTHS OF FULL SUN EXPOSURE AS COMPARED TO FOTO NO. 08.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 05 PETRA-CLOSEUP OF FOTO NO. 12.jpg
    05 PETRA-CLOSEUP OF FOTO NO. 12.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 99

Foto 06 PETRA: Red & yellow side-by-side for comparison…
Foto 07 Robertico’s garden
Foto 08 Supermarket parking lot during the rainy season… see foto no. 04
Foto 09 Escazu, north side of house
Foto 10 Escazu mini-shopping center

Attachments

• 06 PETRA-RED & YELLOW SIDE-BY-SIDE FOR COMPARISON... YELLOW PETRA WILL BE THE SUBJECT OF MY NEXT.jpg
    06 PETRA-RED & YELLOW SIDE-BY-SIDE FOR COMPARISON... YELLOW PETRA WILL BE THE SUBJECT OF MY NEXT.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 07 PETRA-ROBERTICO'S GARDEN.jpg
    07 PETRA-ROBERTICO'S GARDEN.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 08 PETRA-SUPERMARKET PARKING LOT DURING THE RAINY SEASON...SEE CLOSEUP FOTO NO. 04.jpg
    08 PETRA-SUPERMARKET PARKING LOT DURING THE RAINY SEASON...SEE CLOSEUP FOTO NO. 04.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 09 PETRA-ESCAZU, NORTH SIDE OF THE HOUSE.jpg
    09 PETRA-ESCAZU, NORTH SIDE OF THE HOUSE.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 10 PETRA-ESCAZU MINI-SHOPPING CENTER.jpg
    10 PETRA-ESCAZU MINI-SHOPPING CENTER.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 100

Foto 11 Receives about one-half day of afternoon sunlight
Foto 12 This garden receives only 2-3 hrs of early morning sun & solid shade the rest of the day… red & beautiful
Foto 13 Both fotos, 13 & 14 are of planters that face west and receive about 2 hrs…
Foto 14 …of late evening light. This location in relation to the sun is favored by many Forum contributors

Attachments

• 11 PETRA-RECEIVES ABOUT ONE-HALF DAY OF AFTERNOON SUNLIGHT.jpg
    11 PETRA-RECEIVES ABOUT ONE-HALF DAY OF AFTERNOON SUNLIGHT.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 12 PETRA-THIS GARDEN RECEIVES ONLY 2-3 HRS OF EARLY MORNING SUN & SOLID SHADE THE REST OF THE DA.jpg
    12 PETRA-THIS GARDEN RECEIVES ONLY 2-3 HRS OF EARLY MORNING SUN & SOLID SHADE THE REST OF THE DA.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 13 PETRAS-BOTH FOTOS, 13 & 14 ARE OF PLANTERS THAT FACE WEST AND RECEIVE ABOUT 2 HRS....jpg
    13 PETRAS-BOTH FOTOS, 13 & 14 ARE OF PLANTERS THAT FACE WEST AND RECEIVE ABOUT 2 HRS....jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 14 ...OF LATE EVENING LIGHT. THIS LOCATION IN RELATION TO THE SUN IS FAVORED BY MANY FORUM CONTR.jpg
    14 ...OF LATE EVENING LIGHT. THIS LOCATION IN RELATION TO THE SUN IS FAVORED BY MANY FORUM CONTR.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 101

Foto 15 This homeowner has Petra planted all over the yard…filtered light all day
Foto 16 Petra duo in front yard facing northwest
Foto 17 Petra center piece, La Garita Nursery
Foto 18 Petras & Palms…difficult to go wrong with this combination

Attachments

• 15 PETRA-HOMEOWNER HAS THIS CULTIVAR PLANTED ALL OVER THE YARD... FILTERED LIGHT ALL DAY.jpg
    15 PETRA-HOMEOWNER HAS THIS CULTIVAR PLANTED ALL OVER THE YARD... FILTERED LIGHT ALL DAY.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 16 PETRA DUO IN FRONT YARD FACING NORTHWEST.jpg
    16 PETRA DUO IN FRONT YARD FACING NORTHWEST.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 109
  • 17 PETRA CENTER PIECE-LA GARITA NURSERY.jpg
    17 PETRA CENTER PIECE-LA GARITA NURSERY.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 18 PETRAS & PALMS-DIFFICULT TO GO WRONG WITH THIS COMBINATION.jpg
    18 PETRAS & PALMS-DIFFICULT TO GO WRONG WITH THIS COMBINATION.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 102
Thanks Robert,the bromeliads with the Petras look fantastic

Foto 15 This homeowner has Petra planted all over the yard…filtered light all day
Foto 16 Petra duo in front yard facing northwest
Foto 17 Petra center piece, La Garita Nursery
Foto 18 Petras & Palms…difficult to go wrong with this combination

Thank you sir. Quit your day job so you have more time to entertain us? I like the photo of the entry way, top of the class.

Robert, A well done salute to very popular Croton. Great photos! Thanks again for another "The Many Faces Of", I will await and look forward to your next wandering.