COSTA RICA CROTON WANDERINGS-PUNCTATUM WITH RED PETIOLES

donroberth

19/07/09
I bought this cultivar (see attached photos) thinking it was Punctatum. When I went to pot it, surprise! I noticed that it had tiny bright red petioles.

To me, it looks identical to Punctatum with 3.5 inch long and a one half inch wide leaf (I suspect they will get longer with time)… plus a tiny, compact ¼ inch red petiole. Is this trait common with this variety? HELP!
:confused:

Attachments

• 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    401 KB · Views: 134
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    415.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 04 CLOSE-UP DETAIL OF LANCE-SHAPED LEAF.jpg
    04 CLOSE-UP DETAIL OF LANCE-SHAPED LEAF.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 122
Looks almost like one I've been calling Goldfinger. Narrow leaves up to 9" long; very short red petioles; red petiole is more pronounced on newer leaves. A slow grower for me, but plant is in shade most of the day. Got it at a big box store when these were in commercial production some 15 years ago. Leaves are much larger than Punctatum which is a sport of Aureomaculatum which is one of the most drop dead common crotons around here.

Phil…many thanks for your prompt “comeback”. You have helped me gain a new variety for my garden with your positive identification and very useful comments on how to recognize this plant. :):):)