Coloring up!

junglegal

Esteemed Member
30/03/08
We never did find out what this semi-oak is but it's starting to show some excellent coloration. LOVE the oranges it's taking on. This get very strong afternoon sun. I've put an air layer on it for next auction.

Attachments

• 2011-07-25 16.10.54.jpg
    2011-07-25 16.10.54.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 2011-07-25 16.11.57.jpg
    2011-07-25 16.11.57.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 115
Hmmm, the auctioneer could really have some fun with this one. It's very nice Bren, and can't really put a name on it either. Maybe when all the great minds are together and see it in person at the next meeting is when they might come up with something. What's the history on this plant?

I bought it from a nursery here in St. Pete called sunscape. At the time, it was in deep shade and had hardly any color. The leaves were crusted over too as they have lots of iron in their water. Because of that, I was able to talk the guy down on price.

It's in a 10 gal now but it's ready to be bumped to a 15.
The plant is about 6' and has a 2" trunk. Good growth rate.

Jeff may have thought that airlayer is for auction. Who's it really for? Chris

I would also add that eventually, I would like to pass this along to all those that have been so gracious to me with their sharing. I've asked Ray to help me figuring out where to air layer properly. It's currently pretty tall with a thickish trunk.
I want to knock it down in size by air layers so I can handle hauling it in the GH future winters. It also needs up potting now into a 15 gal.
Ray gets first dibs though, he has given me so many crotons through out the years. Scott, moose, bull, Toby..u r not forgotten either. If I forgot some one speak up! Just need time. In the meantime, hopefully this big airlayer roots for auction. I feel obligated to auction it since I don't have much else to auction croton wise.

Not same plant assuming what I bought from Searle is clipper. Clipper gets very red undersides in shade. Leaves are bigger too. Pic to follow.

OK, in these pics, Clipper in a 3 gal (out of color) fore front (see bamboo stake), in near back is AFD5 then the plant in question, tall and in a 7 gal standing tall.

Attachments

• clip2.jpg
    clip2.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 88
  • clip1.jpg
    clip1.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 87
  • clip.jpg
    clip.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 81
In person, these plants look completely different to me. That said, I admit it is plausible, you guys know your plants. I will leave my clipper in that spot for a few weeks to see if I see more similarity between the two given the same conditions.