Chief?

palmisland

28/03/08
I bought this one as "Little Chief", but I've never seen another or the name anywhere. I have this in a few locations from air layering & it colors up in either bright light or mild
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0014.JPG
shade.

Randy, I would say it is Chief for sure. Looks to be a dead ringer to the plant that I got from Carol.
I have a somewhat similar croton which has become more pink since it got into the ground. Bob Alonzo saw a photo of it and said he thought it might be in the Chief family. Lamar also has a similar one.

Attachments

• pink mystery.jpg
    pink mystery.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 59
Well, it's certainly no marketing gimmick. This plant was acquired many years ago from an unknown source, and Bob Alonzo later told me it was not a Chief. He later saw my Chief (other plant) and said he was pretty confident that this second plant was indeed the real Chief. So the first plant which I thought had smaller leaves was then called my "little Chief". For the sole purpose for when these were being propagated. So when the day comes when an prior,established name can be placed with the plant, I would be the first to accept it.

Chief.JPG

This is what was given to me as plain old Chief, not the little one. It is pretty darn slow and I'm not 100 % convinced this is the historically named Chief. Calling all croton eyes, need your perspective here ...