Can Anyone ID Dypsis arenarum???

To be serious for a bit - I have seen several variations of D. lut over here. There is one handsome stand of a slightly blue form. and I have seen some with a colored new spear as well.

I'll be interested to see if this D. "arenarum" keeps the black trunk on all the stems as they get taller. If it does, it will be distinctly different than any others I have ever seen.

In yer face! hahaha

I do agree with you that your palm is different.

I don't understand Jeff's palm. I've gotta get a pic of mine that I belive is the same plant as Jeff's.

Here's the palm I've mentioned, acquired without a label, that is similar to Jeff's palm in posts 27 & 28. Furthermore, it seems to fit the description that Matt in SD quoted from POM: "Sheath...turning into the petiole after a small sharp bend, but without obvious ligules" and "opposite leaflets at an angle of 90 degrees with each other"
When I got this palm it had super long petioles and even now in full, all day inland sun it continues to have a beautiful long petiole.

I've been calling this a skinny stemmed upright Dypsis onilahensis, but maybe it's actually the real Dypsis arenarum.:confused:

Attachments

• 5-26-11- 005.jpg
    5-26-11- 005.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 282
  • 5-26-11- 008.jpg
    5-26-11- 008.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 283
  • 5-26-11- 006.jpg
    5-26-11- 006.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 285
  • 5-26-11- 007.jpg
    5-26-11- 007.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 284
It's flowered repeatedly, but I keep snipping off the flowers to keep the palm growing strong. Maybe I should let this one go.

Attachments

• 5-26-11- 009.jpg
    5-26-11- 009.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 269
Dean,

Your forgetting that palms will perform and grown differently in different climates/habitats. I believe my palm that Ryan showed pictures of, is D. arenarum. And as you know, the same palm looks completely different in the So. Cal area from here in Florida. I think there should be some blue"ish"/silver coloring in the trunks to determine if it is or not.

Matty, why don't you let the flower stalk open completely, and then try to make an attempt to key it out in the POM book?

Jeff,

Of course that is the case, but I would say that there are limits to that line of thinking. I think it would be stretching that logic a little to consider the same palm in one climate will have a black trunk and in another a white trunk. Or vibrant colored petioles in one location, and zero hint of that color in another.

And when you compare from two areas of the tropics, then any differences should be less so than between SoCal and Florida for example.

Having said all that, I think Matty's palm looks a lot closer to yours than to mine, which I don't think looks like either.

Here's a side by side by side of the three palms being discussed.

Attachments

• Picture 12.jpg
    Picture 12.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 285
Bump, any update to post? I am interested in using this palm as a screen so I can't see my neighbors trampoline.
Bren - if anything, I think the ID of D. arenarum is even more uncertain. I have seen several palms labeled as this, and several habitat photos of different palms labeled as this. So, IMO the real D. arenarum is still incognito.