bike and cuttings

Central Floridave

16/07/09
I just bought a new bike and have been biking around. There are a lot of croton in people's homes. I'm tempted to just ride up and take a cutting but of course I'm respecting people's privacy and NOT doing that. however, I found this one at a closed down business's building.

Attachments

• croton200.jpg
    croton200.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 123
Buy a cheap backpack and wear it when you ride. Keep a few 2-1/2 gallon ziploc bags and a small knife in it. Of course, you're riding with a bottle of water. This way, if you see a Croton that you can trim, you're always ready. Don't be afraid to knock on a stranger's door and ask to take cuttings. Well, that also depends on the neighborhood.

the croton that is photo'd was about 8 feet tall and growing under deep shade on the East side of a building on Merritt Island. It was hurt from cold and neglect. Also, like mentioned has lost its color. I'll see if I can nurse it back to health.

There are tons of different variety here on merritt island and in Brevard County. I drive around all the time and see them. Now that I'm on a bike it will be easier to snag a cutting. Much easier to do stealth cuttings on a bike rather than a automobile. I got the eagle eye for them. A lot have been nipped back from the back-to-back record cold winters. but, they will bounce back. If they are grown close to buildings they survive.

I haven't done any bike cutting trips....yet...but, wanted to mention that cutting above seems to have taken. I just stuck it in the ground back in January and it seems like it is going to live. I forgot about it and barely watered it. In the next day or two I'll drive back by the spot from the parent plant to see if it is still alive.

Could it be a flamingo?

"Brown, B. Frank 1995 Crotons of the World p.83. "

Attachments

• crot2.jpg
    crot2.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 80
updated photo. Not the prettiest one. But, I hold out hope, that maybe next summer when the sun will be hitting it more that it colors up again.

c106.jpg