Because of Ana

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Because of Ana's enthusiastic manner on this forum today, she inspired me to do something I have been contemplating for some time. I actually planted a new croton. Unfortunately, this required the removal of another ...

This is Montoya Circle. It was a gift to me from Randy. He found it on a street named Montoya Circle somewhere in Boca Raton. He took cuttings and propagated a few to see what they would turn into. While growing it, it was producing some leaves with some decent pink colors. It did not always have every leaf with the coloring, I thought it would color up better in the ground.
Montoya Circle 1.JPG
Montoya Circle 2.JPG

After a year and a half in the ground it just was not doing much color wise. On Randy's last visit, we were checking out this croton. I may recall that Randy said his was a dog and got rid of it. My ego kept me growing it, determined to get it to color up.

Randy was right, its a dog. Over 70% of the leaves were just dark, exhibiting none of the desired pinks.
Montoya Circle 3.JPG
Montoya Circle 4.JPG

A decision which croton should replace it was an easy one. I had a tall plant that had to get tied to the fence to keep it from blowing over. It was so root bound that it needed to be hand watered daily or it suffered.

Broke out the K-Mag, Croton Fertilizer and containers for the ground soil and mulch.
Newbie 1.JPG
Newbie 2.JPG

Digging a hole has never been so easy for me. I could literally do it with my hand. A taste of K-Mag and croton fertilizer was put in the bottom of the hole. An inch of soil was laid over the top of it. Figure that the roots will appreciate the taste when they find it. Put the hose in the hole and got it nice and saturated - then stuck that baby in ...
Newbie 3.JPG

Kept adding the soil I saved in the container, washing it in very well, trying to eliminate any air pockets. Top dressed the soil with more K-Mag, Croton Fertilizer and some granules that helps to control scale. Put the mulch back and most importantly, stuck in its tag. Playful
Newbie 4.JPG

The last thing to complete the planting process, the leaves were given a light splashing of 20-20-20 liquid fertilizer. VIOLA - my American Made is in the ground. Thank you for inspiring me Ana on your Birthday Weekend! Cat

DSCN2321.JPG

Well, don't know if I did anything, but I'm happy you were inspired. For me, I see plants as workers. If they don't beautify my place after getting good care, I don't feel regret pulling them. You're right, it's an opportunity to start anew with another beauty.

Well, don't know if I did anything, but I'm happy you were inspired. For me, I see plants as workers. If they don't beautify my place after getting good care, I don't feel regret pulling them. You're right, it's an opportunity to start anew with another beauty.

LOL - that is so true. We feed them, water them, give them a place to live for free. Cow

BangHead Kinda like children Panda ... LOL Cat

I do not water a hole...I do not know about K-Mag and croton fertilizer...I do not use 20-20-20 liquid fertilizer...I go drown myself :(...