Avocado

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
:eek: Found this squirrel wedged under my front door gate Thursday morning :(. Curious if he had been squeezing under it all along, until he got so fat munching down on my "Lula" avocados. :mad:

Did not see him there at 10:00 pm the previous evening. My dogs kept hanging out by the door acting restless afterwards. They must of detected his fruitless stuggles to unbind himself ? :confused:

Attachments

• No more Avocados.jpg
    No more Avocados.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 224
I have a rather large Choquette avocado tree that grows down at the back end of the yard. The tree was loaded with fruit, but today I discovered it has been picked clean. Not 1 avocado is left on the tree. If that was not bad enough...they also broke down part of my 6' wood fence to get them. :mad::mad:

We don't have an avo tree that is producing yet but there are many trees along the road... I've gone for walks and found some yummy ones on the ground.

At the recent Croton Garden Tour hosted by Jeff and Andrea Searle, I brought a garbage can nearly full of avocados (variety 'Lula'). This variety has a high oil content simular to the 'Haas'. The attendees seemed to really appreciate them, they were gone in no time. Next time I will fill the can up. There may be lots of guacamole seen at many a Thanksgiving feast in South Florida this year. :rolleyes:

Picked another 250+ avocados yesterday. Bagged up bunches and distributed to the neighbors. Armando(from across the street) helped me, most were 20+ feet up. Worked off an 8 ft. ladder with 12 ft. picker. Armando took three full five gallon buckets to distribute to friends & relatives. I brought 132 to my wife's job this morning to share with her co-workers. :)

This avocado is starting to bud new blooms. The variety is Pollock, it has very large fruit.

Attachments

• Pollock Avocado.jpg
    Pollock Avocado.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 273
  • Pollock Avocado 2.jpg
    Pollock Avocado 2.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 257
Here are some of the last of the 'Lula' avocados being guarded by my little girl Missy Ann. These avocados fall from way up, too far up to get to. The ones that split when hitting the ground are usually found by the squirrels, rats and Missy Ann. She really loves these 'Lula' avocados.

A couple shots of fruit still on the tree. These are 30+ feet above the ground. :(

Hey look (last photo), the 'Lula' is budding flowers. This season's fruit on this variety won't be ready until mid August. My tree is really old and holds fruit for a long time. :)

Attachments

• Lula avocados.jpg
    Lula avocados.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 289
  • Lula avocados 2.jpg
    Lula avocados 2.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 265
  • Lula avocados 3.jpg
    Lula avocados 3.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 265
  • Lula avocados 4.jpg
    Lula avocados 4.jpg