Any Ideas ?

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Found this croton this morning growing in some heavy shade. Gets just a smattering of early morning light. It looks like it may have potential if given more light, organic soil amendments and fertilizer. Does anyone care to take a stab what it might be? :eek:

The Moose has no clue. :confused:

Attachments

• Any Idea (2).jpg
    Any Idea (2).jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Any Idea.jpg
    Any Idea.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 62
  • Any Idea (3).jpg
    Any Idea (3).jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Any Idea (4).jpg
    Any Idea (4).jpg
    187 KB · Views: 80
Not sure about that one Ron. Are there any leaves with more color? That's another good one from which to secure cuttings. How do the homeowners react when you ask for a cutting? I often get a puzzled look like "what's a cutting?", "Why would you want a piece of that thing?" and/or "You can grow another plant from a removed limb?".

Ray - I'll ask for permission to put a couple of air layers on. Would rather have a well rooted plant come winter. Still got time to get established.

The older leaves were nor remarkable. No fertilizer or organic material this plant has seen for years. Perhaps if I get an airlayer in some good soil and mineral salts it will perk back up ?

Ray - I suspect that it may be a Grandma. Supposedly the original owner where "Grandma" was found had owned two homes on the street where this croton was found. Perhaps you take a gander at it tomorrow if time permits. :)

Not sure about that one Ron. Are there any leaves with more color? That's another good one from which to secure cuttings. How do the homeowners react when you ask for a cutting? I often get a puzzled look like "what's a cutting?", "Why would you want a piece of that thing?" and/or "You can grow another plant from a removed limb?".

We are going to have to wait until the Spring to find out. It seems late in the season and I never got around to doing the air layers. We will see how they will color up after they get some Moose loving.

I will revisit this thread and give an update. :)

;) I went looking for this croton to see if it had colored up any. Since it probably has not been fertlized or loved for many a year, I was hoping that all the rain it got this season would had helped it. Definitely looking better, I am still confused as to this cultivar's identication. :p

Are these updated photos any help ? What do you guys and gals think ? :confused:

Perhaps another MacArthur complex type cultivar that seems to around my area ? :confused:

Attachments

• Unknown #1.jpg
    Unknown #1.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Unknown #2.jpg
    Unknown #2.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Unknown #3.jpg
    Unknown #3.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 51
  • Unknown #4.jpg
    Unknown #4.jpg