Air Layering vs. Cutting

TikiRick

21/06/09
Can anyone say which one is faster this time of year? I know it takes approximately 3 months to air layer, but wouldn't a cutting, done properly be faster?

What I mean by "faster" is a plant that is flushed out with numerous leaves, enough to identify it.

With this heat and humidity (and now rains!) I honestly think a cutting may be faster.

Any thoughts?

My airlayering has been averaging around 30 days,I think 3 months may be for the winter months??I have some that are even ready after 3 weeks.I think that airlaring is safer for rarer plants.If done properly you are pretty much guaranteed success

These air layers were put on in late May. Potted up in the last few days in the Moose Land. Containers should be full of roots in 4 - 6 weeks. It takes some time but you end up with a plant ready to go into the ground this year.

Attachments

• Air Layer.jpg
    Air Layer.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 208
  • Air Layer2.jpg
    Air Layer2.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 187
  • Air Layer3.jpg
    Air Layer3.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 183
  • Air Layer4.jpg
    Air Layer4.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 188
Concur with Bullwinkle's times for air layers. I can get large plants (3 gal+) from air layers. Cuttings take from 1-3 years before i can put one in the ground - if they make it through the winters. My success rate on air layers is 95%+; not quite so good on cuttings.

An air layer will also have mature leaves, you can pretty much know what the plant is most of the time. :)

Some more new air layers in the Moose Land. ;)

Attachments

• Air Layer5.jpg
    Air Layer5.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 185
  • Air Layer6.jpg
    Air Layer6.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 195
  • Air Layer7.jpg
    Air Layer7.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 181
  • Air Layer8.jpg
    Air Layer8.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 168
Just finished putting on my last layers for this year.Will remove at end of October and then will wait foir next spring.