A Croton Lunch

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Jeff, Chris and I had not seen each other for some time so we made plans to have lunch yesterday. When we got to Jeff's nursery, he was busy loading a truck for an order to be delivered. Chris and I drifted around the landscape plants towards the front entrance.
When Jeff was finished, Chris was kinda hungry so off to the Subways we went to get some $5 foot longs. When we got back, we were stuffed so we headed for the croton section at the rear of the nursery to walk off our lunch.

Chris and Jeff soon were locked into the ID debate ...

Attachments

• Croton Lunch 1.jpg
    Croton Lunch 1.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 160
Not feeling like debating, I roamed around trying to walk off my lunch taking some photos of plants around the nursery.

Attachments

• Croton Lunch 2.jpg
    Croton Lunch 2.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 142
  • Croton Lunch 3.jpg
    Croton Lunch 3.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 131
  • Croton Lunch 4.jpg
    Croton Lunch 4.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 129
Walking off lunch was working so I started sauntering back towards the guys ...

Attachments

• Croton Lunch 14.jpg
    Croton Lunch 14.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 130
  • Croton Lunch 15.jpg
    Croton Lunch 15.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 157
  • Croton Lunch 16.jpg
    Croton Lunch 16.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 142
Suprisingly or maybe not, I found the guys in about the same spot still engaged in their ID convention. I could see their "discussion" was accompanied with much animation. :p

The hanging material is not the shade house falling apart. It is a material put up for the cold season. With temperatures hitting the 80's and forecasted to continue, Jeff had his guys taking it down while we were visiting.

Attachments

• Croton Lunch 17.jpg
    Croton Lunch 17.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 151
  • Croton Bug.jpg
    Croton Bug.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 195
Ron, since when don't you like to debate? I heard rhetoric all day long, or should I say we. It was as if we'd been hit by a whirlwind of ..... Hope you made it home ok since it was getting sooooo late. We did see some nice crotons coming along and it was good company.

Ron, since when don't you like to debate? I heard rhetoric all day long, or should I say we. It was as if we'd been hit by a whirlwind of ..... Hope you made it home ok since it was getting sooooo late. We did see some nice crotons coming along and it was good company.

Chris - you know I had no debate. Just way too much coffee and diarrhea mouth. Once I got stuffed, I calmed down alot. :rolleyes:

I thought Rhetoric and Whirlwind were the names of some of Keith's hybrids? :p

Leaving the guys to their banter, check out what was going on in rest of the shade house. With such a mild Winter everthing was looking really sweet. These photos do not due justice to how beautiful and vibrant the colors were.

Jeff made over 1100 air layers last Spring. There are going to be some very large robust crotons available at the 14th Annual Spring Extravaganza beginning March 2nd. :cool:

Attachments

• Croton Lunch 18.jpg
    Croton Lunch 18.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 149
  • Croton Lunch 19.jpg
    Croton Lunch 19.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 160
  • Croton Lunch 20.jpg
    Croton Lunch 20.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 166
Heading to the far eastern end of the shade house, there was alot more croton bling found. The serene tranquility was interrupted. Spinning to my left, the ID conference has headed my way.

:eek: Look at the body language. Jeff appears to be taking an adamant position, Chris looks like he a'int buying it. LOL :D

Attachments

• Croton Lunch 21.jpg
    Croton Lunch 21.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 156
Ron / Chris,

I enjoyed the afternoon looking and talking everything about crotons. Thanks to a warmer winter than normal, the plants are looking pretty good for feb. And lunch wasn't bad either. We get together every couple of months and if anyone else would like to join us, let one of us know. The more the merrier.

While checking out the crotons, I heard tire on gravel sound. spinning about I find "Pops" Searle heading my way in his golf cart. I have spent many an hour talking with Pops on my frequent visits to the nursery. I love his stories of Hollywood and Hallandale in the 1940's and 50's when they were just small towns. It is always a pleasure to see him.

Pops had a couple on the cart. He introduced me to Frank and his lovely wife Barbara Soar. Here is a photo of Frank Soar with Barbara's blond hair in the background. That's Pops hand on the steering wheel. If the name Soar sounds familar, Frank is the nephew of long time Broward nurseryman John Soar. Namesake to the croton cultivar John Soar. :)

I told Frank I was a major Crotonhead and had to take his photo to be posted on the Croton Forum. He graciously agreed to the photo op.

Attachments

• Croton Lunch 23.jpg
    Croton Lunch 23.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 123
After spending 10 minutes exchanging pleasantries with the Soar's and Pops, I returned my croton blingage investiigation. :eek:

For those of you who will be coming to Jeff's sale the weekend after this one, you are going to find the largest selection and nicest conditioned plants he has ever offered in March IMO.

Attachments

• Croton Lunch 25.jpg
    Croton Lunch 25.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 112
Heading back to put away my camera, we find the guys have returned to their old spot. The deliberations were continuing. :rolleyes:

Thus endth the Moose's Croton Lunch yarn ... :p

Attachments

• Croton Lunch 26.jpg
    Croton Lunch 26.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 127
Thanks for a wonderful croton tour at the Searle Nursery and for mentioning there would be a sale the following weekend. I'll be back in that area on that weekend before flying home and would like to attend. I'll check some other threads to see if there is more information available concerning this.

Ken

Ken - I copied and pasted this info that is posted on Palm Talk.

It is hard to believe it has been thirty (30) years since the nursery opened in 1982. Many palms, plants and experiences have been grown along with friends and family. The 30th Anniversary comes with a new change to the Searle Brother's Plant Extravaganza formula that has worked so well over these years. The Extravaganza now spans two weekends, starting with the first full weekend in March. The rain delay weekend from last fall showed that many customers enjoyed having two opportunities to attend, whether the weather might not agree, or they may not be able to make it during the first weekend.

The spring and fall Searle Brothers’ Plant Extravaganzas have become a great way for IPS Members, Palmtalk Forum Members and fellow tropical palm & plant enthusiasts to come together and meet in the South Florida area. The events have always been a great way to spend a weekend in the company of those who share your passion for gardening and collecting tropical ornamental plants. To describe the events as just mere plant sales would be an understatement; as they have become much more in the form of social events for our friends and family. Forum members, friends and people have all come from far and wide to attend and we are continuously surprised in the distances they will cover to share in the event. In regards to the following details, I have tried to include as much information about the upcoming Fall Extravaganza as I can. If you see something that you need to know that is missing and should be added, please post the idea(s) here or contact me, Jeff Searle or the nursery with the methods listed below and let us know...

South Florida Location:
Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc.
6640 SW 172nd Avenue
Southwest Ranches, Florida 33331
Western Broward County
*see Map below...

Spring 2012 Schedule:
Friday, March 2nd - 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Saturday, March 3rd - 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Sunday, March 4th - 9:00AM - 4:00PM

also the following weekend...
Friday, March 9th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Saturday, March 10th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Sunday, March 11th - 9:00AM - 4:00PM

more info ...

Contact List:
Nursery Office #: (954) 434-7681
Nursery Fax #: (954) 680-2750
Nursery Website: www.rainforestcollection.com
Nursery Email: Searlebrothersnursery@yahoo.com

Jeff Searle #: (954) 658-4317 Email: palms@rainforestcollection.com Private Message: PM Jeff Searle
Ryan (Palmarum) Email: rdgpalm@bellsouth.net

Directions:
This is a general street map of western Broward County, Florida showing the location of the nursery (Palm tree symbol). Using Sheridan Street would be the best option to get to the nursery if you are heading west through the county. If you are taking the Florida Turnpike, use the Griffin Road exit from the north, or the Pines Blvd. exit from the south. If you need any additional directions, please contact the nursery, Jeff or I (Ryan). When you get close to the nursery, look for large power lines as they run east and west above the nursery. Parking is along the shoulder of 172nd Avenue in front of, and down the street from, the nursery entrance. If you intend to arrive early before sunrise (and many usually do) be wary of hard-to-see speed bumps along 172nd Avenue and there is a possibility of a speed trap as well.

more info ...

Contact List:
Nursery Office #: (954) 434-7681
Nursery Fax #: (954) 680-2750
Nursery Website: www.rainforestcollection.com
Nursery Email: Searlebrothersnursery@yahoo.com

Jeff Searle #: (954) 658-4317 Email: palms@rainforestcollection.com Private Message: PM Jeff Searle
Ryan (Palmarum) Email: rdgpalm@bellsouth.net

Directions:
This is a general street map of western Broward County, Florida showing the location of the nursery (Palm tree symbol). Using Sheridan Street would be the best option to get to the nursery if you are heading west through the county. If you are taking the Florida Turnpike, use the Griffin Road exit from the north, or the Pines Blvd. exit from the south. If you need any additional directions, please contact the nursery, Jeff or I (Ryan). When you get close to the nursery, look for large power lines as they run east and west above the nursery. Parking is along the shoulder of 172nd Avenue in front of, and down the street from, the nursery entrance. If you intend to arrive early before sunrise (and many usually do) be wary of hard-to-see speed bumps along 172nd Avenue and there is a possibility of a speed trap as well.

Thanks Moose for all the detailed information.

Ken

While checking out the crotons, I heard tire on gravel sound. spinning about I find "Pops" Searle heading my way in his golf cart. I have spent many an hour talking with Pops on my frequent visits to the nursery. I love his stories of Hollywood and Hallandale in the 1940's and 50's when they were just small towns. It is always a pleasure to see him.

Pops had a couple on the cart. He introduced me to Frank and his lovely wife Barbara Soar. Here is a photo of Frank Soar with Barbara's blond hair in the background. That's Pops hand on the steering wheel. If the name Soar sounds familar, Frank is the nephew of long time Broward nurseryman John Soar. Namesake to the croton cultivar John Soar. :)

I told Frank I was a major Crotonhead and had to take his photo to be posted on the Croton Forum. He graciously agreed to the photo op.

Pops Searle wanted me to amend this post. Barbara is not Frank Soar's wife. They are friends from church that came by to visit Pops. I apologize for my faux pax:eek: