Croton Photos - For the Gallery

Dypsisdean

Administrator
Staff member
28/09/07
We are getting some nice photos in the forum. But unfortunately the forum and the wiki are really two separated platforms, although joined in an unique fashion. In other words, the photos in the forum can not be used in the Gallery unless downloaded, and then uploaded again to the wiki.

In addition, the forum does not accommodate as large and as Hi-Res photos as does the wiki. What I'm getting at is that it would be nice to have the Hi-Res versions of all these nice photos of named varieties uploaded to the wiki. It takes a little more effort to create a page and place them in the reference, but I am more than willing to help with that as long as I have a valid name to attach.

So, if anyone of you is willing to upload these to the wiki (you can do ten at a time for your convenience) I will get them indexed into the Gallery. To do so, just click on "Upload Multiple Files" in the left sidebar of a wiki page. You may also wish to click on the "Help" link in the same left sidebar for more info on the upload. It is very simple. Just be sure to attach a name, either by renaming, or putting it in the added box in the upload window.

It would be nice to have an easily accessable library of high-res croton photos where the varieties are labeled and agreed upon, at least by this forum. The varieties can get quite confusing for us new croton folks and there are plenty of misnamed crotons out there, that people are calling the wrong thing, to add to the confusion.

YEP,

I see 'em, and they look great. Way to go. Those are really nice and will make a great addition. I'll get to work and get those in the gallery. My only handicap is understanding which is which as far as leaf shapes go.

Maybe somebody can do some follow up and check up on me. If you click on the "edit" tab on any croton gallery page, you will see the "Category Tag" on the last line. This will include the leaf shape. This can easily be edited, like any word processor, and changed if I put something in the wrong leaf shape category.

BTW - if anyone feels adventuresome, I can put together a short "step by step" on how to make a page on which to place these pics. It is really easy, and it would be nice to have everyone involved.

Something to keep in mind is learning about the "Recent Changes" link in the left sidebar of a wiki page. That highlights every change that anyone has done, including uploading new photos. That is where you can see the photos you just uploaded. There are other places, but that's the easiest for 'fresh' pics.

I think I will put together a short tutorial on creating a new variety page and placing of a photo, for anyone that wants to give it a try. The other thing to keep in mind is that anyone can do this. Anyone can add, edit, etc, to most wiki pages.

Under your Leaf Types, I would add three more: Davis, Coppinger, and Krukonis. You might want to put oak leaf types into both Oak leaf and Krukonis, likewise with the thin leaf varieties into Coppinger. But for me, as a collector, I've always looked at many of the interesting and unknown (to me) Crotons in terms of fitting into those three shapes and not just thin, broad, or oak leaf. Of course there are Crotons that don't fit those three, so you'll need all the other shapes as well. But putting all the Davis hybrids and variants into the Davis group will save many of us time as far as identification goes.

I'll work on this when I get a little time.

But:
1) I don't entirely understand what you mean.
2) It is no problem at all to have a croton belong to two categories. If I am understanding you, there may be some that could correctly belong to two categories???

I would prefer to make sure we are in consensus about this before I would make any changes.

Any more comments???