Air Layering Size

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
I need to top Lillian Stoffregen as she has grown a bit to tall (6') for the spot I have her planted. Last year I just cut the plant back and it came back fast. This year I will air layer them, but I am questioning the size of the air layer. The first one I did yesterday the AL is 17" in height with branches. Is that to large? I have four more to do most will have four branches and will be about the same size.
Img_8991.jpg

image.jpg
ScoTi My rule do what is best for your plant and hope you can find a home the the air layers. 2 nd rule if I have it no one else seems to like that plant anymore. As the pics show pots every where
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 67
I've done a few big air layers up to 1/2" steam diameter. Some get extra sphagnum moss during the process to get a big root ball before going into a 3 gal container. For a real leggy plant, you can try two air layers on the same stem.

Thanks all! I will continue on with the larger size air layers.

View attachment 30993 ScoTi My rule do what is best for your plant and hope you can find a home the the air layers. 2 nd rule if I have it no one else seems to like that plant anymore. As the pics show pots every whereView attachment 30993
Lamar, I should not have a problem with finding them a home. Most people I know take any plant I throw their way. My next door neighbor wants my Crotons and Ti plants in her yard now. I will be removing a dozen or so Batik Crotons from my yard to her yard in the coming weeks and I will still get to enjoy seeing them from my view.