Davis 14

Bullwinkle

Esteemed Member
17/11/10
I had promised Ana a picture of this one.I am not sure how this plant differs from Inca??I think they are one and the same.I have a few of these in the garden but this one is head and tails above the others :)
DAVIS14.jpg
DAVIS14.jpg

Wowza Mike, that's one amazing croton! What type of lighting is it in?

Going back to the wiki, it seems like Inca's leaves pretty uniformly all have high shoulders. The Davis 14 examples seem to have more variable leaves? Some with high shoulders, some rounded semi-oak, and even some broad type leaves. That's just what I thought could be different looking at the few examples. The Incas seem maybe a little more veined also? Don't know. Both are great cultivars, and your Davis 14 is nothing short of spectacular! Thanks for posting it.

Interesting observation Ana,I had a good look and it seems you may be unto something with the variability of the leaves.Inca does appear to be consistent and Davis 14 is certainly variable.This plant is under a tall coconut tree and gets some direct light early and then filtered light the rest of the day.It is in a pretty ideal location for good color,the leaves are not as large as another example that I have in the front yard but the colours are vivid.

Kip this is what I have as Gloriosa Superbum. I think your plant falls in that crowd.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 81
While I am here this is the real Caution Light the Wiki has something from Ron not correct.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Kip, I agree with Lamar, I think it resembles Gloriosa Superba (Superbum). I hope others will give their opinions.

Lamar, I think you're also right about Ron's plant. I removed it from Yellow Duke of Windsor when others said it wasn't that, and put it in Caution Light as a placeholder at someone's suggestion and since I didn't want that page to disappear. Will anyone confirm that Lamar's plant is a Caution Light? If there is agreement, I would be happy to correct that page as well. Come on, people, we need your opinions!

Kip, I agree with Lamar, I think it resembles Gloriosa Superba (Superbum). I hope others will give their opinions.

Lamar, I think you're also right about Ron's plant. I removed it from Yellow Duke of Windsor when others said it wasn't that, and put it in Caution Light as a placeholder at someone's suggestion and since I didn't want that page to disappear. Will anyone confirm that Lamar's plant is a Caution Light? If there is agreement, I would be happy to correct that page as well. Come on, people, we need your opinions!

Looks like Caution Light to me

Keith Hanks told me there are two different plants with the name Caution Light. If I can find the other one, I'll post a photo. Keith, if you see this, please tell us more.

While I am here this is the real Caution Light the Wiki has something from Ron not correct.View attachment 29978View attachment 29978

That is bizarre. There is no Caution Light in my garden nor have I owned one. The photo in the Wiki Croton Encyclopedia as Caution Light is my plant. I got it as Yellow Duke of Windsor.

http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/threads/july-2011-meeting.2335/page-3

The Yellow Duke of Windsor was acquired from Phil who acquired it from Sunken Gardens. The history of my Yellow Duke of Windsor is documented in the thread link above.

Glad you caught the error Lamar ;)

When I get the chance I will correct the Caution light. Ron, and others, this is what happened and how Ron's plant ended up where it is: http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/threads/correction.4966/#post-51606. There was no further discussion, and although I suspected things weren't totally right, I didn't know how to proceed any further. I've never seen a Caution Light, so I didn't have any base of knowledge myself to be able to judge one way or the other. I really rely on you folks often to tell me what you think and correct things.

Last edited:
I'm bumping this thread because of our recent auction. As stated above, this plant was acquired as Yellow Duke of Windsor. A Yellow Duke of Windsor was auctioned that did not look like my plant. The conversation at the auction furthered that Yellow Duke of Windsor and Marigold are the same plant. I did not have Dr. Brown's book in front of me at the auction, but the Yellow Duke of Windsor/Marigold certainly looked like the Marigold in the book by my recollection.

I'm resigned to the fact that my plant is improperly identified. I've seen Caution Light being sold at Jeff's Extravaganza that has a different leaf shape with prominent spotting. Keith mentions above that there are two forms of Caution Light. Regardless of the name, I love this plant. However, I love to be able to attach a name to it. Should I tag this croton Caution Light ?

YDOW 1.JPG
YDOW 2.JPG
YDOW 3.JPG

image.jpg
This is getting nowhere not Caution Light, if there is a second form of C L need the info, who named it and when. I can with great confidence say this is Caution Light.
image.jpg
Top pic full plant 2nd pic back of leave to show pink to red potential.