I Give Up

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Its stretched and pretty well shaded. Its not mine and have requested an air layer.

I keep racking my brain trying to figure out what it could be. I'm coming up empty, I give up. HungOver

Any input would be welcome! Depressed

give up.JPG

Ron, have you considered the J.R. Renfroe hybrid named Keith Hanks? The leaf shape on yours is kinda variable and it might not be the same, so I don't know. If you think it might resemble it, you might ask Keith to take a look at it.

hey ron, looks like it could be a ragged out playboy grown in super deep shade. i'm looking at the oldest (bottom) leaf, it might have been on the plant before if was moved.

Here's a few pics of a plant that looks a lot like yours, Ron. Leaves are 6-8" long + short petioDSCN5568.JPG le with trace of pink in them.

Attachments

• DSCN5569.JPG
    DSCN5569.JPG
    256.4 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCN5570.JPG
    DSCN5570.JPG
    314.8 KB · Views: 91
Looks kinda like Superstar ?
Reminds me of Superstar also. I have a Superstar growing in a shaded area that I will get a photo of later to post here for you Ron. The leaf shape on your plant may be different from what I picture in my brain this morning.

Img_6118.jpg Img_6113.jpg Img_6111.jpg Ron, Here is my Superstar that only gets about a hour of sun as it sets in the western sky..

Last edited:
Superstar will show some pink coloration on the older leaf undersides like Eleanor Roosevelt.
Img_6123.jpg

Looks like a stretched out Aucubufolium but fleaves look twice as big as Auc.

Phil - no color spotting on the under leaf and the semi semi oak leaf shoulders are not characteristic to Acubaefolium. These leaves are stretched but the leaf length far exceeds any Acubaefolium in the best of conditions. It is my understanding that this croton has not been given any mineral supplements in a few years either.

Here's a few pics of a plant that looks a lot like yours, Ron. Leaves are 6-8" long + short petioView attachment 27689 le with trace of pink in them.

Phil - having a Superstar myself, I can not imagine that the leaves could get so stretched. The Superstar also has a profusely smaller spotting habit compared to the original post photo. I agree with David that it would need have been exposed to croton steriods to morph into such large leaves.

By the way, anyone have access to croton steriods? Please PM me! :eek: