First PRA of 2014

Unidentified Dypsis with a pink tag. The pink tag denotes that this is a special Dypsis that has been adopted. ;)

Attachments

• P #25 Dypsis sp.JPG
    P #25 Dypsis sp.JPG
    282.7 KB · Views: 207
This unknown Dypsis has large plumose leaves. Has the potential to develop a robust trunk. Any IDeas what it could be? :confused:

Attachments

• P #28 Dypsis sp. 'Plumose'.jpg
    P #28 Dypsis sp. 'Plumose'.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 190
Marojejya insignis. Pete said this was a very finicky palm for him. Possibly has a touchy root system, this palm seems to distain repotting. May need to be planted as a smaller palm to avoid root disturbance.

Attachments

• P #29 Marojejya insignis.JPG
    P #29 Marojejya insignis.JPG
    264 KB · Views: 192
My initial reaction was this was Dypsis pinnatifrons. Can't recall if its Dypsis nodifera or forficifolia. I was tired and we were discussing the affinities that these species share.

Attachments

• P #30 D pinnatifrons nodifera forficifolia.JPG
    P #30 D pinnatifrons nodifera forficifolia.JPG
    273 KB · Views: 196
My first thoughts upon seeing this palm was Dypsis psammophila. Pete said that this is in fact Dypsis arenarum. My impression was that Dypsis arenarum looked more like Dypsis lutescens. After reviewing Palms of Madagascar pages 212-218 this palm could very well be Dypsis arenarum.

John Dransfield states in POM: "Differs from D. lutescens (which occurs in the same localities, in the same habitat) in the longer petiole, smaller number leaflets, the longer petals and the more robust rachillae; the inflorescence branches to 2 orders, while in D. lutescens it usually branches to 3 orders (but occasionally to 2 orders). From D. psammophila it differs in the generally larger leaves (petiole, rachis, leaflets) with many scattered scales, the much longer prophyll and stouter rachillae."

I sure would like to see a photo of a 100% confirmed D. arenarum and a 100% confirmed D. psammophila.

Thanks for all the Dypsis Delights.