Super California

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
I am trying to locate a photo of Super California. There is no photo in the Wiki of this cultivar. A search of posts in this forum does not find a photo either. Reportedly is a seedling from Van Buren. I may recall that Ray (Crazy for Crotons) said it is rather cold sensitive.

Is anyone growing this cultivar from this forum? :confused: Could this be a very rare cultivar? :confused:

Checking all the first links Peyton provided, it would be hard to dispute those crotons not to be Petra. One link was selling Petra and Super California, they were listed one beneath the other. They looked the same to me other than the overall size of the plant.

Peyton - your second link could definitely be an Excellent.

I believe I recall that Ray (Crazy for Crotons) was growing a Super California and lost it to the cold. It is difficult for me to believe that Ray's plant was a Petra. These links may be selling these plants as "Super California" as a marketing ploy. Also, Petra is not all that sensitive to cold. Hmmmm :confused:

Wish I could see the plant that Ray had as a Super California.

I bought a Super California (SC) several years ago in a big box store and it was NOT a Petra. It promptly died the following winter; Petra survived with no problems. It is wimpys, wimpy, wimpy - and nfot that all of a looker compared to everything else out there.

Super California is quite possibly the wimpiest croton in existence. I almost lost mine last year from exposure to temps around 45F. By the time I realized it needed more protection, some leaves were dropping and the stem started to die back. You never see this one in the garden centers anymore because the last few winters have wiped out the trade.

When well grown, this plant gets huge, deeply veined leaves and is pretty good looking.

That was my first thought too, but then I wasn't sure...
But isn't there really a 'Super California'...??

Here's another google result that definitely isn't a Petra, but looks just like something I see in the bigboxstores around here labeled as 'Excellent'...
http://www.weberswholesale.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=154

Since Excellent got brought up in this thread, here are a couple of shots of what I have as Excellent. Took photos this morning, plant is about 4 ft. in height. :)

Attachments

• Excellent (2).jpg
    Excellent (2).jpg
    304 KB · Views: 96
  • Excellent.jpg
    Excellent.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 113
Speaking of Excellent, during my last visit to the Bullwinkle Ranch Estate, I noticed that Mike had two specimens plants that were the nicest I have seen so far. Mike, please share some photos of those beauties. :eek:

Here you go Moose,this is a big one,around 7 ft tall and the leaves are pretty large at 16 ins or so

Attachments

• feb 4 crotons and dogs 014 (2).jpg
    feb 4 crotons and dogs 014 (2).jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 133