Calyptrocaylx spicatus

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
This genus can be a bit finicky sometimes with South Florida's rocky soil. If you are fortunate to have sandy soil, amendments can be added with success. This Calptrocaylx spicatus has suffered through the last two winters but has rebounded. This is the tallest growing species in the Calyptrocaylx genus. Planted as a one gallon plant 5 years ago. It flushes a salmon to pinkish colored new leaf which lasts about 3 - 7 days. :):)

Attachments

• Calyptrocalyx spicatus.jpg
    Calyptrocalyx spicatus.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 2
Is that why mine, in rocky pure Hawaii old lava flow has been a slow grower? - about the same rate and size as yours. I thought it was because I put it in too much shade. It can't be due to lack of nutrients and organic material - or drainage. I have found that this genus consists of slow growers in general. But it is definitely worth the wait, and one of my favs.

Dean - South Florida rocky soil has alot of limestone that raises the Ph level and locks up some minerals. I have to make soil amendments to try and acidify the soil. The Calyptrocaylx genus prefers its soil Ph below 7.0. This should not be a problem for you. Your slow growth rate may be because of your garden's elevation, cooler but still tropical. Pretty much Calyptrocaylx species are on the slow side. I would have to defer to Bo or Jeff Marcus as to what rate of growth you can realize with your growing conditions. Your volcanic substrate would not be a factor in my opinion concerning Ph levels. Perhaps more organic material would help? :)

Moose, believe it or not, we are encouraged to add lime to "sweeten" the soil - because it is so acid. I think the reason is that in the newer land areas (500 years or so), not much of the "soil" has come from erosion - it has all come from the composting of leaf matter, hence the high pH. In essence it is 100% organic matter. :)

Dean - this palm's native habitat is the rainforests of the Moluccas in Indonesia. You are giving it all its variables of its native habitat except for the higher temperatures. Perhaps as it matures the growth rate will speed up. :confused:

I think it's just too dark where it is, or I am just being impatient - or a little of both. I'll try and remember to take a pic, it's kind of "buried."

I have other Calyps that have been in the ground for 5+ years and aren't over my head yet. Maybe I'm just spoiled from some of the other stuff that is 10+ feet in the same length of time. :)

Updated photos: Spear leaf opens with pinkish flushing ... :)

Attachments

• Calyptrocaylx spicatus.jpg
    Calyptrocaylx spicatus.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Calyptrocaylx spicatus 2.jpg
    Calyptrocaylx spicatus 2.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 0
Dean - I would lean towards you being impatient. My palm is not all that big and is years away from trunking. I do not believe that shading is an issue for you either. In it's native habitat it is an understory palm for a long time - then becomes an emergent. It reportedly is the largest species of Calyptrocaylx, eventually attaining 40 ft. in height. Perhaps you altitude with cooler nights may be slowing it down a bit. Pretty warm in its native haunts.

By the way, where is you photo of yourins ? :rolleyes:

I think it's just too dark where it is, or I am just being impatient - or a little of both. I'll try and remember to take a pic, it's kind of "buried."

I have other Calyps that have been in the ground for 5+ years and aren't over my head yet. Maybe I'm just spoiled from some of the other stuff that is 10+ feet in the same length of time. :)